Motto

"All the time I'm not writing I feel like a criminal." -Fran Lebowitz

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Rogue Trip Playlette - "Sydney, Australia, 09.07.2014 - 11am

INT. 441 BUS - BIRCHGROVE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - 11am

BILL sits on a bus, trying to keep his backpack from falling off its seat while he watches a Chinese-Australian MOTHER, who sits between her son (9?) and daughter (8?) in the “Priority Seating” up front. The SON presses both hands repeatedly against the bus window, checking the prints his hands leave, while the DAUGHTER, wearing a page haircut, a purple hoodie with pink & silver butterflies on the front, and big, black, block eyeglasses, tugs at her mother’s fleece.

DAUGHTER: Mommy, I want an iPad. I need an iPad. I need it. I know you said it’s gonna hypnotize me. But it won’t hypnotize me. It won’t, Mommy. It’s not gonna hypnotize me. I won’t let it hypnotize me. I won’t. Mommy. Mommy. It will not hypnotize me. Don’t worry.

The mother, staring straight ahead, says nothing.