Motto

"All the time I'm not writing I feel like a criminal." -Fran Lebowitz

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Little Things Coax the Big Things, the Outside Goads the Inside

Int. Bar - Evening
BILLY and a STRANGER are talking.
BILLY: ...and I dunno, it's been a good experience, no matter what.
The Stranger raises his/her glass.
STRANGER: Here's to you. Sounds terrific; I'd love to check it out. Do you have a card?
BILLY: Uh. No.
STRANGER: Oh.
BILLY: (reaching for a napkin) Do you have a pen?

I need business cards. You spend so long worrying about getting the actual work done, you forget you're gonna need to tell people about it. I want the cards to be simple, clean. There are so many things that have nothing to do with the work and everything to do with the work. It's all work. So you treat it all like work.

Billy's voicemail - Afternoon
PRINTER: Yeah, hi, this message is for Bill. I just wanted to let you know that your business cards are ready, and you can come pick them up any time. Thanks a lot. See you soon.

I have business cards.



INT. BAR - EVENING
BILLY and a FRIEND are having a drink.
BILLY: ...and yeah. I got business cards and everything.
FRIEND: Yeah? Lemme see.
(Billy takes out a business card. He hands it to his friend, who looks at both sides.)
FRIEND: Yeah.
BILLY: What, you don't like 'em?
FRIEND: Not really.
(Billy takes a drink. Pause.)
BILLY: So what?