Motto

"All the time I'm not writing I feel like a criminal." -Fran Lebowitz

Thursday, September 8, 2016

OHO - September 8, 2016 Update

One Hour Outcall wrapped up its rounds of auditions on Friday and Tuesday. First off, T. and I want to thank all of the people who came in to read for a role. Everyone was so prepared, professional, and talented. In my limited experience holding auditions, I’m comfortable with them quickly running behind and turning into a cluster. I’m uncomfortable, however, with everyone being so tolerant with me when such inefficiency invariably happens. My biggest fear with auditions is that no one will show up. My second biggest fear is that people will storm out when things run late. Despite my fretting about keeping people waiting, I had a lot of fun. It was terrific to begin hearing the script read aloud by people other than me. However, I always manage to hear all of the bad writing I’ve perpetrated as a cacophony in my ears, and mentally noting all of the mistakes (513 and counting!) that I want to fix.

Aside from my own neuroses, it’s a pleasure to see how actors interpret my work. It was also my first chance to do some acting opposite potential scene partners, and no one threw anything at me unless their character was actually supposed to; it is meant to happen occasionally in this story. So that was fun. Memorizing lines, and the knowledge of how many I still have to memorize as things proceed - (sigh).

T. and I have some tough choices to make, but we’re committed to making them soon as we move forward. We’re hoping to have One Hour Outcall cast (all right, mostly cast) by early next week. No doubt having a cast more fleshed out will increase the momentum we’re building during pre-production, and I’m especially excited about all the talented people who are going to join us. Check back here for updates on that, and if you’re one of the actors who join the cast, be sure to start directing your people here and spreading the word about the project on social media.

Reminder: the film's Twitter handle is: @OHOfilm. Be our third follower!

Fundraising continues. People so far are very generous and supportive, but we’ve just begun and we've got a way to go, so if you’re interested in contributing, please let me know on Facebook, via email (1ho.thefilm@gmail.com), approaching me on the street, or however to let me know and we can talk about it. Please accept my thanks for your patience in hearing my pitch. Any contribution would help. Any help would help. It would mean a lot to me, not only for this production but as a sign that you’ve enjoyed my work in the past and like the voice I’ve been creating.


I’ll update you again next week, hopefully introducing you to some cast members, letting you know some prop/location assistance I could use, and announcing that the increased lack of sleep is affecting me only moderately.

Thanks for reading.